Saturday, November 29, 2014

FGM;Female Circumcision. Post#8

                                   FGM;Female Circumcision

Female genital mutilation same as Female Circumcision is a procedure performed to women to symbolize adulthood or it is done as a cultural requirements. The procedure does not have any health benefits however it causes several health issue. So the question is should it be done or should it be stopped. People like me will definitely say the act should be eliminated because of the pain and health complications. But then again, I will want to consider the cultural reasons behind it. It is a hard question to be answered without being bias. The issue is a problem because United Nation and other global organization got involved and are working towards eliminating the act because of the health issues and inhumane attitude.

                 Prior to my research I did not know anything about female circumcision.  I did not even know it was done in Nigeria where I spent the first 10 years of my life. I did not even know a close female relative of mine was circumcised. I have learnt a lot. I learnt that there are types and categories of circumcision. They are sunna, clitoridectomy, and the excision and infibulation. I also learnt that female circumcision is mostly done because of cultural reasons and a disadvantage is the health issues it causes. One thing that annoys me the most is that people try to compare male circumcision to female circumcision which is unfair. Male circumcision has health benefits but female circumcision does not. I also came across a source that said women should not have the right of sexual pleasure so their clitoris should be cut off. IS EVERYTHING ALL ABOUT MEN? I think the society where circumcision is done fail to realize that without women there will not be men because women give birth to men. Women are not given any power or right during and after the process. I believe the circumcision is done to silence women. The question I keep asking myself is: is the cut necessary?
















1 comment:

  1. You are confusing female circumcision with female genital mutilation. True circumcision is the removal of only the hood, everything else is left intact. This procedure IS done for health and sanitary reasons

    ReplyDelete